April 30, 2009

Adding to the garden

Man, gardening is expensive, especially pots. I mean, it's terracotta! It's just hard dried dirt why it is $6 a pot???






I wanted some more color on the balcony so I went and bought some new flowers. If these hold up well and my herbs do ok I may feel confidant enough for real vegetables but after all this work with the herbs I might go for already grown plants rather than seeds. I need instant gratification.


All together now. The yellow ones are droopy but we'll see how they do in a few days. Lovely view of the air conditioners there.


I also bought some garden lights and although I already broke one (I'll have to buy a replacement. And I tried so hard not to break them, too!).

I'll plug them in as soon as I find my extension cord. Justin is moving in today and he's been bring over things from his house continuously so his room is flooded with all kinds of electrical stuff, cds, instruments, computer parts, tools, etc that I can't find anything right now.

April 29, 2009

Craft: Tile Picture Coasters

Supplies: Tiles (I used some crappy marble things. It said marble, doesn't look like any marble I've ever seen), cork backing to keep the tiles from scraping up your lovely surfaces (Ha! Like I even have good furniture), glue (I used Mod Podge because it's a glue and a sealer), scissors or a paper cutter, and pictures printed on photo paper.

Cost: $5 for tiles (they came in sets of 9 but I only used four for this project), $5 for the cork (I used sticky back cork rather than pre cut cork tiles because I got more bang for my buck), I already had glue and photo paper so that's $0.

Time: About an hour for everything, or less.

Difficulty: Easy

Casualties: Sticky fingers and smeared ink.


I stole this idea from coasters I saw in a store and was like, "I'm not paying for that shit!" So I made my own versions and it goes a little something like this.

Cut cork to fit the back of the tiles and glue/stick the squares on.


Print out pictures on paper and cut them to fit the tops of the tiles. Hint: Cut smaller than the size of the tile, these tiles don't have right angle edges and some of the corners aren't flat and you don't want the paper hanging off.


Smother the top of the tile with a good slathering of glue and place your picture on top. Let dry then paint over with glue/sealer to give a waterproof glossy top layer. Cover the sides and edges, too, for a complete seal. Your glue might make the sides a darker color so cover everything! Hint: Make sure you let your printed pictures dry fully or else you'll get ink smudges like me. Also, you might get air bubble under the picture that you'll have to flatten out to make sure it's completely dry before you put on the top layer.





Not bad. I think next time I might do sepia tone pictures instead of B&W because it would look better with the tan colored tiles.

Curtains!

I found this box of curtains in storage that my mom had. One super long curtain looked like it would work for my big window in my bedroom so I split it in half, sewed up the top section (it had these strange plastic hooks that I've never seen before) and bought a curtain rod that I probably paid too much for.


The lace has these cute little clouds, also something I've never seen before. I'm guessing these were from the '60s and probably from my grandma's house although I don't exactly remember them in her house, but I haven't seen her house since I was 12, so...

April 28, 2009

Oh how my garden grows


Thime round two - starting over and indoors and things are looking much improved. My first attempt ended in failure. I'm also replanting Justin's habaneros but we'll see whether or not they grow.


At least my basil looks like it's taking hold. My chives and oregano are struggling a bit since their transplant and since we had such hard rain yesterday they also might have been drowned and pelted by water. We'll just have to wait and see.


I'm craving a Dairy Queen Blizzard like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will I get one???

April 27, 2009

Crafty time!

I was hit with the inspiration bug this weekend and went a little crazy - I made a weird wooden chandelier light thing which I might expand on or fix a little later. It's looking a bit small right now. I was inspired by a similar art piece hanging thing in Anthropologie a couple weeks ago.

I'm also in the middle of making coasters out of tiles and pictures, another blatant rip off of something I saw in a store here in town.

I started making this mosaic tile mirror thing for my balcony, my next decorating project but I didn't buy enough tiles. The next day I went to the craft store looking for more little glass tiles and there were none so then I got distracted by fun fabrics and now I'm making two dresses...

I'm in way over my head and none of these projects are finished! I think I'll finish the coaster set first. I've already attached sticky back cork to the bottom side of the tiles. Now I need to print out square photos and glue them to the tops and then cover the photos in a protective glaze. Shouldn't be too hard.

Pictures soon!