January 19, 2010

Indian Food

I admit that I have only eaten Indian food twice in my life. Once in Prague, of all places, and once cooked by an actual Indian person, friend of a friend, who was concerned about stinking up my friend's apartment and kindly decreased the amount of spices in the recipe because she feared it would be too hot for us. I can see why.

So, coming home from Adriane's house the other day after being thoroughly whipped in my first game of Risk I decided to make her Aloo Matar recipe that I stole from her cookbook. I also stole her naan recipe but didn't have enough flour.


This recipe is for four servings but I halved it because I can't eat that much.

* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (I just grated some ginger and crushed up some garlic)
* 1 bay leaf
* 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 1/2 cup tomato puree
* 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spices)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. Stir in the onions, ginger garlic paste, and bay leaf. Cook until the onions are tender. Mix in the potatoes and peas. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.

2. Stir the tomato puree, garam masala, paprika, sugar, and salt into the vegetable mixture. Continue cooking about 10 minutes. Mix in the cilantro and continue cooking about 2 minutes.


It was quite delish and I remembered that this is what the Indian friend of a friend made for us that other time I ate Indian food. I probably should have used a nonstick pan. Some of it burned at the bottom but it wasn't a big deal. Also I don't think my potatoes were cooked all the way through but that's just Justin's opinion and he doesn't matter, does he? They tasted good to me!

I probably should have made some rice with this but I couldn't find my bag of rice. Maybe I'm out? That naan also would have gone great with this. Maybe I'll make that to go with the leftovers. Instead I just ate it plain with a big cold glass of milk. Spicy!

One thing about having the cat is that I have ridiculous cat allergies and cannot smell a thing. I could barely smell the spices which means my whole place must smell like curry right now even though I had the fans on and my balcony door open. I made sure to brush my teeth extra well last night and this morning.

1 comment: