May 25, 2010

Button Down Skirt


I've seen these kind of gathered button down skirts all over the place lately in different variations. Urban Outfitters happens to have a lot of them right now, for example. So I decided to make my own version and it's not too difficult. You can download the pattern along with the instructions.

Blue Button Down Skirt
(balloons from the party the other weekend)

The skirt has an easy elastic waistband and mine is a faux button down.

Waistband
(view of the waistband from the inside)

There is the flap that has buttons buttoned on it but I never like the open spaces between buttons on your shirt that always seem to open up and give everyone around you a nice *view* so I didn't want to deal with that on the skirt either.

Button flap 2Button flap
(flap before adding buttons. The flap is held down flat by the waistband, the bottom hem and the buttons)

The flap gives the illusion that it is really held closed with the buttons.

Buttons
(close up of flap with buttons sewn on. I used big navy colored buttons with a diamond design in the middle)

You could easily make a real button closure skirt and have a normal, non elastic waist if you wanted to, as well. Or make a faux button down and use a simple invisible side zip. You could also add pockets (I was going to but I got lazy and thought "nah..."), pleats, belt loops, whatever. I used plain old cotton but jersey would work well, too, for a more loose and flowy effect.

6 comments:

  1. Very cute skirt! I like this trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try out this skirt but the Pattern link is the same as the Instruction link.

    Looking forward to seeing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks, I fixed the link so it should work now. Let me know if you have any tips or suggestions. I'm still new at pattern making and would love some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the seam allowances included in the patterns, or do we have to add them on? I wasn't sure if my print scaling was off maybe last time, if it was the seam allowance, or just me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. laurajane28, That's a good question. Yes, I believe they are included.

    If you have any more questions about that pattern feel free to leave a comment. That was one of my earlier patterns so the instructions probably aren't as good as the more recent patterns I've made. I appreciate feedback, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used this pattern to make myself a skirt today. Just wanted to say that I loved it! Thanks so much :)

    (rainbowmonkeys_ @ LJ)

    ReplyDelete