February 7, 2011

First Cakepops: footballs

My friend Adriane (who I gave this Cake Pops book to for Christmas) invited me to help her make cake pops in celebration of the Super Bowl (which instead of watching I read more Harry Potter - I'm on book 4!). Another friend of mine actually gave me a copy of the same book so Adriane and I had been planning to make some pops together for awhile.

For some reason we both thought football pops were in the book but to our surprise they aren't. So instead we just figured out how to make them on our own.

Cake pops are cake balls on a stick. You bake a cake mix cake, crumble it up, stir in a can of frosting (the recipe says 3/4 can but we thought that was too much. might want to try half a can and add more if needed) and mold into balls - or in our case, pointy ovals.


Adriane had made cake balls before so she was much faster than me. I tried my best to make them look football shaped rather than turd shaped. Sorry, but brown mushy blobs... not exactly appetizing at this point.

(my nasty messy hands after rolling balls)


Then you freeze the balls for about 15 minutes. Jab sticks into them and dip them in melted chocolate. Then put the sticks into a block of styrofoam and let the excess chocolate drip off.


Pipe on the football laces with white icing.


I'm really surprised how football-like they turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment