March 1, 2011

Oscar Fashion

...as if you haven't seen enough already...

I missed the Oscars this year (unintentionally) and I was really looking forward to the awards this year. I was a film major in college and I love movies but I also love glittery dresses as well! Here are some of my faves and why I like them.


As a sewer I can appreciate technical details and this year I loved all the sparkle, shine and texture. I think Mila Kunis' lavender Elie Saab gown was my favorite - soft layer of lace and fabric. Love it!



Monique Lhuillier is one of my favorite designers so naturally I loved this ethereal number on Mandy Moore.


I also enjoyed seeing dresses with sleeves and higher necklines like Michelle Williams' in this simple silhouette by Chanel. I'm a little bored with sweethearts and v-necks lately.



This year I loved all the soft muted pastel colors more than the richer tones but I still like the sleek and sparkly look of Amy Adams' L’Wren Scott blue dress.



I wanted to love Cate Blanchett in her Givenchy dress. So many parts of it I like: the pale color, the detailed texture, the mix of flowing waves of fabric with structure, he neckline and sleeves, the belted waist but I just can't get over the giant circle in her chest. My eye is completely drawn to that huge empty hole in the middle of the dress and nothing else.



Hailee Steinfeld looked very age appropriate in a soft pink Marchesa tulle dress. Love the detail on the skirt!

Probably my close second favorite design of the night was Florence Welch's 70s vintage-style Valentino. Love everything about this dress and it is perfect with her hair color and her own personal style. Love the lace. Love the sleeves. Love the fabric. Love the yellow. Love the layered skirt. Love love love!!

I know some people might not love this dress but I think it's great on her. What are your thoughts on the awards fashion?

No comments:

Post a Comment