June 30, 2011

Maxi Dress Inspiration

So I bought some fabric the other day and I'm feeling all full of sewing inspiration! Specifically for maxi dresses this summer.

Do you ever feel like your sewing can never catch up with the seasons? It's already been summer for two months here in Texas and I'm just now starting to sew some summer essentials.

Good thing for me summer lasts most of the year here but if I lived more north I'd have to trade my soon-to-be maxi dress in for some heavy boots in three months time. What I really should be doing is sewing winter clothes so I can have the whole season to wear them!


This original inspiration dress is from Free People. It is difficult to tell from the photo but the dress is v-neck. The model is wearing a cami underneath. The pattern is Butterick 5489. I want to use this abstract floral jersey knit from Fabric.com and the beaded trim is from M&J Trims.

I'll leave off the belt tie in the pattern and instead just gather the back with some elastic, probably.

The inspiration dress is also made from woven fabric not knit and it also has tiers of fabric on the skirt. To make things simple I'll leave the tiers out.

I'll add the trim around the the neck and waist just to jazz things up a little.


Also while I was perusing Free People I found this awesome coral colored jersey maxi skirt. When I went to Hancock Fabrics the other day I discovered some awesome pink jersey. While it wasn't the exact color match it did match the weight of the fabric.

I don't have a pattern but it seems pretty easy to replicate. Elastic waist and probably a semi circle shape to the skirt with a ruffle at the edges.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I think I tried on both these Free People items and they were WAY too long. I like your ideas! I will put these on my future sewing list even though I'm a beginner!

    ReplyDelete