June 20, 2011

Swim Suit Inspiration

What kind of garment have you never attempted to sew? Maybe it seemed too complicated or time consuming or maybe you needed special equipment?

For me that's swimsuits. In theory they should be quick and easy - you don't need a lot of fabric, not a lot of seams to sew, zig zag stitch all around. But when you look at the details and supply requirements it gets tricky. You need swim elastic, foam bra cups, a serger, lining fabric, fabric needs to be made from certain material, etc.

It doesn't help that there's a lack of good swim patterns out there.

I already bought this pattern from Kwik Sew. I want to make the strapless version.

But first I'm going to try my hand at another Kwik Sew pattern. I saw this cute one piece online and noticed that it looked very similar to a pattern I found. And then I discovered some cool ikat patterned fabric that I could use to recreate the style.


Original swimsuit from Thread Sense. Pattern is Kwik Sew 3695. The rayon/spandex print fabric is from Fabric.com. Beads and rope I figure I can find in my stash or just buy at the local craft store.

I'll make a few changes to the suit pattern like bringing the plunge on the front up higher by a few inches and inserting the rope tie underneath the bust. I'll sew a tube for it between the outside layer and the lining.

Anyone else ever made a swimsuit? I found that this blog has lots of helpful tips when swimsuit sewing. She mostly sews kid's suits but the ideas can be applied to adult suit, too.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I have never braved doing a suit. But learning something new is rewarding too!

    ReplyDelete