September 28, 2011

Ballet Dress

Ballet Dress
This is my "I'm proud of myself for doing this right on the first try" pose.

This dress was traced and slightly altered from an existing dress I own. I call it the Ballet Dress mainly because it reminds me of a dress that a ballerina would practice in.

Ballet Dress

It's got a scoop neck, three quarter length sleeves, a semi-circle skirt and a slightly higher than normal waist. The perfect little jersey knit dress to run around town in.

This was originally intended to be just a test run but it turned out good enough to wear so that makes me very happy indeed!

Ballet Dress

That doesn't mean it's perfect. Here are a few changed I'll make next time:
  • Tighten the sleeves a little
  • Maybe lengthen the skirt by a couple inches
  • Make the neck binding smaller - it is a little baggy in the back but I wasn't trying my best to fit the binding because I wasn't taking this dress very seriously at the time.
  • Give it a normal waistline rather than a slightly higher one
  • Iron the dress before taking pictures ;)
Ballet Dress

Since this dress was supposed to be a tester I made the top with a heather gray and then because I didn't have enough gray left I made the skirt in plain black.

The great part about this dress is that it is so simple. I can easily make small changes to my pattern pieces and because of its simplicity it is a great canvas for awesome fabric. I plan on making a bunch of cute sweater dresses this winter.

Ballet Dress

7 comments:

  1. So cute! I like the slightly high waist seam. You should make it into one of your great patterns

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! I have been on a little bit of a sewing hiatus, but dusted the machine off last week for a small project and now I need a little inspiration...found it. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love the waistline position, the scoop neck, the sleeves....very youthful and fun, but not juvenile. I wants one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! Maybe I will make it into a pattern? It's not a difficult design, only four pieces. And I do love those quick and easy projects...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I stumbled upon your site and do you actually make these dresses from scratch? I looked at some other pages as well...if you do these dresses look fabulous. Very impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally, thanks! Yes, I do make them although many designs are from patterns (or in this case, traced from a dress), some I draft myself from scratch.

    ReplyDelete