October 29, 2011

Baby Size Button Down - Kwik Sew 3730

Baby Button Down

Everyone say "awww!!"

My co-worker and his wife are having a baby next March and they just found out it's a boy. So, keeping with my goal of a handmade Christmas I made them a baby shirt!

Baby Button Down

This is the first time I've ever made kid clothes and I think this little shirt is adorable!

I didn't know how to display this tiny shirt. Obviously I don't have a baby available nor did I have a tiny baby size hanger so I just taped the shirt to the wall, ha!

Baby Button Down

The fabric is a vintage plaid I got from the store where I intern. The base color is a yellowy-cream that doesn't come through well in these pictures.


The pattern, which I got for free from the store (sweet!) is Kwik Sew 3730. I liked the pattern because it had 1/4in seam allowances which made it easy to sew with my serger.

Baby Button Down

I cut the back yoke and the front pocket on the bias for a little extra interest and topstitched my seams.
I made the 3 to 6 months size because I figure they've already accumulated enough newborn size clothes from friends and family already.

I make so much clothing for myself that it's fun to make something for someone else and with a baby I don't have to worry about fitting and picking the right size because he'll just grow into it.

Have you ever made clothes for other people's kids?

5 comments:

  1. Awwwwwww indeed! Soooooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joining the collective "awwwww!"

    I love sewing baby clothes. Something about making something miniature...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great! Very manly
    And yes, I made clothes for my only child, Lucrecia (She's 19 years now) and for my niece Isabella. Visit my blog, http://lasmanualidadesdedebora.blogspot.com/2011/10/conjunto-de-bebe-con-el-paso-paso.html
    I have a tutorial there! In Spanish, of course, cause I'm from Argentina but I hope won't a problem for you (Google translate can help you) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny because I was actually JUST talking to a friend about plaid shirts. That's going to be one stylish baby boy. :)

    -Sally Mars

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shirt is so cute! I'm looking to make some baby clothes for my new nephew. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete