December 9, 2011

Never Fear Knits - Part 1

(past projects using knits)

I love sewing with knits! Ever since I took the plunge and learned how to use my serger some of my favorite garments I've made have been knits.

And it's no wonder - knits make up such a huge part of the modern woman's wardrobe and if you think about some of your most comfortable clothes they're probably knits! Cozy cardigans, loungy yoga pants, hoodie jackets and your favorite t-shirt are wardrobe staples.

Yet many beginning or even intermediate sewers haven't worked with knits and may not know much about them. Some sewers are scared of working with this stretchy fabric and others have tried but ran into problems that made them give up.

Sure, knit fabrics in stores aren't as plentiful as quilting cottons and denim but sewing with them can be fun and easy (and not to mention quick!).

Knits are forgiving to wear and easy to sew because most patterns don't require darts, facings, zippers or exacting fits.

So I'm starting this new series I like to call Never Fear Knits to cover all the basics and offer some tips and tricks to sewing knits fabrics.

The series will cover these topics in separate posts:
  • What are knits and how do they differ from wovens?
  • Fiber and fabric types and picking patterns for knits
  • Tools of the trade
  • How to sew knits
  • Stabilizers and how to use them
  • Do's, Don't's and troubleshooting with examples of problems and how to fix them
Tourist Dress


At the end I'll release the new downloadable pattern for my Ballet Dress and host a sew-a-long so you can apply everything you've learned so far.

So follow along, even if you're proficient in knit sewing you can still have fun sewing the new pattern or help others who want to learn some new techniques.


Add a button to your blog if you want.

The first post of the series starts tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. I'm very excited about this, but I have to say, I don't own a serger and probably wont be getting one in the near future. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! I'm not too bad with knits but I'd like to get better at using my serger for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the serger dusted off and ready to go - just started my Xmas holidays (yeah!!!) so this will be an ideal time to follow along....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, struggles, you don't need a serger to sew knits. You can always use a zig zag stitch on a regular machine which I'll show later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm glad you're posting this. I'm surprised I was able to put my cardigan together without using the correct needle. LOL. I wore it today to work and got a lot of compliments. And I would like to learn more about sergers. I'm not ready to buy one. I'm happy with my zig zag stitch for now as a beginner, but maybe one day I'll take the plunge and make that purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing!! I was just about to start a knit dress, but I've never sewn with them. Can't wait to benefit from your sage advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you're doing this KNITS series & I will be following along - Thank You!
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cristy - I admire your enthusiasm for jumping into knits as your first clothing project ;) You've got a good start so it'll only get better from here!

    Rachel - well, I hope you can wait a few more days for all the extra tips before you start your dress. ;)

    Chris - glad you're following along!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just discovered your blog and this sew along via your button on 21.wale.blogspot.
    I have had my first attempts at stretchy fabrics this year and have slightly improved each time,but will read all of your posts and will definitely join in with the sew along as I have several dress patterns that I want to make hopefully over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm teaching myself how to sew from an ancient Vogue Sewing Book, YouTube/blogs.

    I love your blog! Thank you for all the tips, as my first "very easy vogue" pattern, along with a knit cotton, is coming about better than I expected. - KO

    ReplyDelete