March 27, 2012

One Week, One Pattern

Self drafted t-shirt

Ooops, I'm a little late on this one. But I think I have an excuse - I was out of town all weekend for a wedding so I wasn't able to blog (but I was able to wear my Macaron dress for the wedding. It's nice to have clothing that serves a purpose in your wardrobe).


The Goal: Anyway, even if I am a little late I have been wearing my "One Week, One Pattern" pattern. If you don't know what Tilly's One Week, One Pattern is you can check out the info on her blog or I could just tell you - you pick one sewing pattern that you love enough to create multiple looks from and wear the garments for a whole week (or most of it, anyway).

Self drafted t-shirt

The Pattern: This is a self drafted t-shirt (because you all know I love my knits!) which is similar to this pattern in some ways. I thought it would be good for OWOP because I knew I'd need to make a few versions to get it right and I have some fabrics that I really wanted to use.

Self drafted t-shirt

The shirt is loose fitting (which I love for hot summers) which is slightly cropped in front but longer in back. It's got a scoop neck and drop shoulder sleeves.

The Fabric: I've made two versions so far and I have one left in the mix to sew. This was my first draft that I made out of some bland taupe jersey I bought specifically for muslins but I think the end result looks good enough to wear.

Self drafted t-shirt

The Changes: It took some trial and error to get the sleeves right but next time I'm trying a different approach. Also, some time later this week I hope to try ombre dyeing this shirt. The beige is a little dull for my taste and I want to try this technique but didn't have any projects in mind. I'm still not sure what color I want, though. I'll be overdying the existing color so the dye won't look exactly like the package. I'll need to test a scrap piece first.

Self drafted t-shirt

The Results: This will be another great top for summer. I'm planning a version in a striped jersey which I think will look pretty cool as the stripes meet at the sleeve cuffs.

Self drafted t-shirt

I hope to finish all three versions I want to make and then draft up a new multi-size pattern. Yay!

Thanks Tilly, for organizing this awesome challenge!

4 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous! The top looks like such a great staple, but with a very stylish modern edge. I love the drape to the back - its very elegant! I can't wait to see your other versions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute version.
    Dont worry about starting late, I also did this. Although I have less of a decent excuse than you... I might just have thought it started on on day not Sat...
    I cant wait to see the other versions.

    And why not over dye it with some colour like teal, or purple as they will still look good slightly greyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think teal or purple would be good, too, especially a darker shade that might work over the existing color without being washed out.

      Delete