Saturday, June 30, 2012
This is certainly my most revealing suit (I'm seriously starting to question my decision to post all of these, when is it over again??) but the top is self drafted of which I'm very proud!
I was going for the "twist front" bandeau look where it looks like the fabric curves diagonally at the center front. After doing some research I found that there are two ways of doing it, what I call the two-piece style and the one-piece. By two or one I mean the number of front pattern pieces.
A two piece has two long rectangle pieces that criss-cross over each other in the center front but it means you have a seam running horizontally over the apex of the bust. It's not that noticeable if you have lots of gathers but I didn't want that seam.
A one piece uses (you guessed it) one rectangle that is stitched in the center front in a way I can only think to describe as a smock. You know the kind of smocking done on pillows or little girl's clothes? Ok, make that only one smock stitch and you have the basis for the "twist" look.
Here's an example of "two pieces" and a "one piece."
With that in mind I started with basic rectangle shapes for the front and back with a more curved shape for the lining. I used those same Sew Sassy swim cups with this suit, too. I gathered the front piece at the sides, added plastic boning on the sides for support and attached a plastic hook (also from Sew Sassy) for the back closure.
I had already added the elastic to the top and bottom of the bandeau before attaching the back hook so I made a little pleat for the fabric to fit in the hook because I'm lazy. ;)
The bottoms are the from the tankini version of Kwik Sew 3608 (you've seen my monokini version). Pretty simple although I realized that I accidentally cut the lining a little too small which makes the outer layer of fabric ripply in places. Oops. Next time I'll do better. ;)
I bought the fabric from Fabric.com however I don't think it is still available. I think it's pink and gray hibiscus flowers but on a bikini it looks more abstract.
Alright, I have one more suit to show you later (thank God it's a one piece!). All of these photos of swimsuits except for the black monokini were taken on a phone because my point-and-shoot was destroyed by a mud puddle while dune buggying. :( Ugh, now I have to buy a new camera. Hey, buy some patterns so I can get a new camera, haha!